Gallery

Photographs courtesy of Pennine Horizons Digital Archive

Heptonstall From Pecket Wood
The photo shows the hilltop village of Heptonstall. The woodland is known as Lee Wood. The fields make up land belonging to “Lumb’s” Egg Production business. In the bottom left hand corner of the photo is “Lee Holme” crown green bowling club and the Mill is “Lee Mill”, now demolished and replaced with detached houses

Below: Heptonstall, the Old Archway to Whitehall Farm. The lintel bears the initials J.B. (John Bentley) and the date 1578. The house beyond the arch on the left is Whitehall, a farmhouse, once the home of the Bentley family, hence its former name of ‘Bentley’s’ The family lived here before 1578, when according to old documents Gabrial Bently bought a garden close to the “newe dwellinghouse” of James Bentley.

Top o’Town

Below Heptonstall Band, Northgate, circa 1910. Right, couple by cottage fireside; possibly the White Lion public house.